My Account Services About Us Resources Forms  

Looking for more information on professional Association property management?

Would you like to learn more about JBC Property Management and our complete list of services and pricing for your Association?

Please click here for more information.

Emergency Protocol
Glossary of Terms


  Resources - Frequently Asked Questions

This page addresses questions that are most often asked about JBC Property Management and Association living. If you have a question that you would like to see addressed here, please let us know by clicking here.

About JBC Property Management

About JBC Property Management and Association Websites

About Association Living

About Association Board of Directors

About Financial Information

About Administrative Information

About JBC Property Management

What are JBC Property Management's business hours?

We're open 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding Holidays.

What is JBC Property Management’s mailing address and contact information?

You can send any correspondence to your Association at the following address: 

      JBC Property Management, Inc.
      13486 Canal Road
      Sterling Heights, MI 48313
      Phone:  (586) 254-3000
      Fax:  (586) 254-3331

How do I reach JBC Property Management for after-hours emergencies?

The main telephone number of our office (586-254-3000) is answered during our regular business hours. After hours (5:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. Monday - Friday and 24 hours a day on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays) our 24-hour emergency answering service can be reached at 586-254-3000 and pressing 1 upon hearing the voice prompts.  Please leave a message after the voice prompt.  Your voice message is delivered electronically to numerous JBC employees.  The JBC employees answering these calls will know who to contact in the event of an emergency. Remember for police, fire or medical emergencies dial 911.

What does JBC Property Management do for my Association?

JBC Property Management implements the decisions of the Board of Directors, attends Board meetings, oversees Association contractors, performs site inspections of the property, ensures architectural integrity, ensures Rules and Regulations compliance, produces and manages Association website, monitors insurance policies, and provides a 24-hour emergency service.

In addition JBC Property Management answers questions by mail, phone and e-mail about the Association, processes architectural modification applications, writes necessary violation and compliance letters, and prepares and mails Association notifications.

JBC Property Management also collects and deposits Association assessments, pays Association invoices, prepares monthly financial statements, answers account balance questions, tracks delinquent accounts, and interacts with the association’s collection attorney.

In general, JBC Property Management handles the day-to-day operation of the Association under the direction of the Board of Directors.

Why do we need JBC Property Management when we have a Board of Directors?

The Board of Directors positions are voluntary and fulfilling the many obligations assigned to the Board can be a difficult task. That's why the majority of Associations hire professional management firms to handle some or all of these duties.  When JBC Property Management is hired, it allows the Board to maintain oversight of the affairs of the community without having to sacrifice personal pursuits in order to carry out the various Board duties.

How do I obtain a quote for management services?

Click here and submit the requested information to obtain a detailed presentation noting pricing and the complete list of services offered by JBC Property Management.

About JBC Property Management and Association Websites

Why do I have to login to your site?

By logging in to “My Account” through the JBC Property Management website, we are able to provide you with unique features specifically for you and your Association. Logging in to “My Account” allows us to give you real-time updates on your financial status with the Association, compliance related issues (if any) and keep you current with any announcements or events pertaining to the Association.  In addition, a separate username and password for each visitor allows us to provide you with a safe and secure internet experience.

About Association Living

What is an Association?

An association is a non-profit corporation created in order to enforce the Association Documents as well as maintain, enhance, and protect the value of common property and the neighborhood as a whole. By virtue of purchasing a home within an Association, you are a member who must pay assessments and abide by the Association Documents.

How does an Association operate?

Your Association is a private, non-profit organization comprised of the individual owners in your particular development. In most cases, you are automatically a member of the Association upon purchase of property in the community.  The Association is responsible for the regulation, protection, and maintenance of the shared property of the community in order to protect the investment of each individual, as well as to enhance the value of everyone's property. Your Association's operating funds come from the required assessments paid by each owner of the community. The Association conducts an Annual Meeting to select its Board of Directors, disseminate the Board approved budget and discuss and vote on a wide variety of Association business issues.

What are my rights as an owner within an Association?

As an Owner, you are automatically a member of the Association in most cases and will remain so as long as you own your home. You have the right to participate in the Association at the level of involvement you choose. You can seek to be elected to the Board of Directors or appointed to a Committee, or you may prefer to only attend Association meetings and vote on issues of interest to you.

What are my responsibilities as an owner within an Association?

You are responsible for paying all assessments as determined annually by your Board of Directors. Assessments are the primary source of income for your Association. You will be notified of the amount of such assessments and will receive a billing (for most homeowner associations) or a monthly coupon book (for most condominium associations).  From time to time, as operating expenses go up, you may see increases in your assessment. It is important to pay all assessments in a timely manner, as failure to pay could result in fines, a lien against your property, a lawsuit for payment, or even foreclosure proceedings.

You are responsible for abiding by the Rules and Regulations outlined in the legal documents you received at closing. Typically, these documents establish architectural standards, govern use of the property within the community, and require that PRIOR written approval from the Board of Directors be obtained for all modifications to the exterior appearance, additions, and structural changes.  If you wish to request approval for a modification, please click here and submit your request on the form provided.

You are responsible for obtaining and maintaining your own insurance coverage on your personal property and any improvements to your home or lot. The Association insurance covers only the common areas of the community. Your insurance needs should be closely examined by you because they are very different from your needs when owning your own home in a traditional single-family development. It is crucial that you contact your personal insurance agent to review the coverage required for your particular circumstances. Your Association is not responsible for obtaining or maintaining your personal insurance.

You are responsible for abiding by the rules of your Association. Each Association has rules that best meet the needs of the owners of that particular community.

Why did I receive a violation letter? The Association is too strict.

In most cases, “violation” or inspection letters are simply to bring an issue to the owner’s attention. JBC Property Management does drive through inspections of the communities to ensure there are no issues with the common property, any contractors that may be doing work in the common area, and to check for violations of the Association Documents. When there is an issue, you may get a notice. We understand that often, the grass is tall only because you’ve been called out of town on an emergency, or that the broken mailbox has already been ordered and will be delivered next week. Please feel free to contact us and let us know. In the rare case where an owner routinely refuses to adhere to the Association Documents, further action may be taken, but generally the notices are just to ensure that you know about the issue.

Why do I see violations in my neighborhood? The Association is too lenient.

JBC Property Management completes random drive through inspections. When there is a violation, a notice is sent and a reasonable amount of time is given for the owner to bring the issue into compliance. If the issue is not resolved in an appropriate number of days, subsequent letters are sent. Failure to comply after receiving three fine letters may result in having the matter referred to the Association’s attorney for enforcement of the violation and collection of the fines and legal fees incurred.

How do I file a complaint about my neighbor?

Please contact the police immediately if you are concerned about your personal safety. If you wish to file a complaint with the Association, please click here and submit your complaint in writing.  A notice will be sent to the alleged violator and you will receive a Complaint Follow Up card to be used to monitor the status of the alleged violation. 

Aren't the Association rules made to settle neighbor disputes?

No. The Association Documents exist to protect the appearance and value of the neighborhood as a whole. The Board cannot get involved in neighbor vs. neighbor disputes that do not deal with the Association Documents or where it would not be possible for the Board to know the facts of the situation with any certainty. We recommend that many of these types of issues (pet complaints, noise, etc.) can be resolved by speaking amicably with your neighbor. If that does not help, there may be more appropriate avenues than the Board or the Association management company (i.e. animal control, police, etc.).

I am selling my home.  Do I need to notify the Association?

You or your closing attorney will need to contact the JBC Property Management Accounting Department so you will no longer be billed for assessments. You will also need to request a Paid Dues Letter and possibly a Condo Questionnaire (if required by your title company).  In order to request a Paid Dues Letter and/or Condo Questionnaire, click here.  You may also wish to log into your account on the JBC Property Management website and unsubscribe yourself from Association-related e-mail notices.

Can I lease my unit to someone else?

Yes.  Please note that if you are planning to lease your unit, your lease must state that the tenant agrees to comply with all of the conditions of the Association documents and Rules and Regulations (if any).  Note further that the minimum lease term for your tenant shall be 12 months. Upon having your tenant sign the lease, a copy must be sent to JBC Property Management to keep with your permanent unit file.  In addition, daytime, evening and emergency contact information also needs to be sent to JBC Property Management.

Do I need to have my own insurance?

Yes.  You cannot rely on the Association’s property casualty and liability insurance policies to cover your personal property. You are urged to consult with your insurance agent to determine the appropriate level of coverage needed for your situation.

Can I change the exterior of my home?

There are restrictions relative to making modifications to the common elements - the exteriors of buildings, the common grounds and some interior building components. Exterior changes or additions require owners to submit a completed Modification Request Form prior to making any architectural changes.  It is helpful to be familiar with the Association Documents before submitting your application. Click here and complete a Modification Request Form. Please note that the Board of Directors must approve your request BEFORE you begin any modification. 

Why do exterior changes require prior approval from the Board of Directors?

The Association Documents require that any modification be approved by the Board of Directors. The idea behind the restriction is to ensure that the appearance of homes remain in compliance with the Association Documents of your association.  The Association Documents are in place, in part, to protect and enhance the overall property values of the Association.

About Association Board of Directors

What does the Board of Directors do?

The Board of Directors is the administering and governing body of your Association. The method by which the Board is selected varies depending upon the stage of development of your particular community. Typically, communities in which fewer than 75 percent of the units are sold have their Board of Directors appointed by the developer. Once more than 75 percent of the units are sold, the Board of Directors transitions to one that is elected from the owners of the Association. Members of the Board of Directors meet regularly (usually monthly or quarterly) and serve on a voluntary basis without compensation. Often, the Board appoints committees to assist in its duties. The Board of Directors has three broad areas of responsibility and oversight: financial management, day-to-day operation, and community rules and restrictions administration.

How do I contact the Board of Directors?

Simply click here to contact the Board.  Your concerns, comments or compliments will be given to your Association’s Board of Directors.

Some Boards give out their own contact information and that is their choice. However, Board members are unpaid volunteers who often give a lot of time to the association. JBC Property Management is hired as an agent of the association and is therefore the correct contact point for the Board of Directors.

What are the Board's responsibilities for the financial management of my Association?

The Board's financial management responsibilities include:

        Preparing and approving the Association annual budget.

        Setting the Association assessment rate.

        Collecting the Association assessments.

        Maintaining records of receipts and expenses.

        Reconciling the Association's accounts.

What are the Board's responsibilities for the day-to-day operation of my Association?

The Board's day-to-day operation responsibilities include:

        Arranging for operation of common facilities and services.

        Maintaining and repairing all common property.

        Employing personnel as needed.

        Providing for the insurance needs of the common areas of the community.

        Establishing an effective communication system among community members.

        Receiving and handling complaints.

What are the Board's responsibilities for administering Association rules and restrictions?

The Board's community rules and restrictions administration responsibilities include:

        Establishing rules and restrictions for the common good of the community

        Enforcing the rules and restrictions uniformly.

About Financial Information

What type of payment options do you offer?

Four payment options are available:  automatic deduction from your bank account, credit card, on-line banking or payment with a check. 

1.  ACH DEBIT (Automatic Monthly Payment)  

       Regular assessment payments can be automatically deducted from your checking or savings account on a monthly basis with this option.

        Please click here to set up this type of payment option.

2.  ON-LINE BANKING PAYMENT (One Time Payment)

        This online service allows for you to pay your account balance via a one-time e-Check.

      If you have ever made a one-time payment from your bank account for a product or service online, this payment option is the same thing.

        Please click here to set up this payment option.

3.  CREDIT CARD PAYMENT (One Time Payment)

        You may pay your account balance conveniently and securely with a credit card.

        Please click here to set up this type of payment option.


     Your payment coupon must accompany all checks. (IMPORTANT: If you have misplaced your coupon, please write your five digit account number on the memo line of your check)

         Mail check AND payment coupon to:

                         (The name of your Association)  

                          c/o JBC Payment Processing Center

                          P.O. Box 64145

                          Phoenix, AZ  85082-4145

         This post office box is maintained by the Association’s financial institution.  Payments are not processed by the management company.

         All checks are processed electronically and may appear as an ACH item, direct debit or automated check on your bank statement.

         Paid checks will not be returned in your bank statement.

      Being that you are sending your payment out of state, please plan accordingly for the United States Postal Service to deliver your payment by the designated due date to avoid any late fees.

When will I receive a new payment book?

Payment books are mailed in early-December to those owners who are not using the automatic payment service. If you have recently purchased your home, please click here to request a new coupon book.

How are my Association Dues or Assessments being spent?

Each year, the annual budget is mailed to each owner. If you are new to the Association, the budget is contained within your welcome package. If you have lost your copy of the Budget and would like another, please click here. If you have specific questions about a line item on the budget, please click here to submit your inquiry.

Who decides how my Association Dues or Assessments are being spent?

The Board of Directors, under the authorization of the Association documents.

Do I have to pay assessments?

If you live in an Association, then you have purchased into a community where membership is mandatory.  In addition, the Association Documents specify that you must pay assessments to maintain the Association.

About Administrative Information

How can I obtain the Association Documents (Master Deed, Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation and Covenants Conditions and Restrictions)?

Click here to purchase these documents. Note that you will be requested to set up an account with CondoCerts and you will have the opportunity to purchase this information online.  (These documents should have been given to you at your mortgage closing. You may wish to review your closing documents before purchasing these documents.)

How can I obtain a Status/Paid Dues Letter?

Click here and follow the instructions noted.  You will be required to set up an account with CondoCerts to purchase this information online.  You will be able to pay for your request online via credit card and the Status/Paid Dues Letter will be available via an online link shortly after your request.  Rush delivery is possible however, there is an additional charge as noted. 

How can I obtain a Condominium Questionnaire?

Click here and follow the instructions noted.  You will be required to set up an account with CondoCerts to purchase this information online.  You will be able to pay for your request online via credit card and the Condominium Questionnaire will be available via an online link immediately following your payment.

How can I change our Designated Voting Representative for our unit?

Click here to print off a Designated Voting Representative Form. Please complete, sign and mail the Designated Voting Representative form to JBC Property Management at any time.  Please note that all owners receive this form each year in the notice for the Association’s Annual Meeting.

How can I change my emergency contact information on file?

Click here to submit any changes to your emergency contact information.

How can I obtain proof of the Association’s insurance?

You can obtain a copy of the Association’s insurance by clicking here.  Note that you will be requested to set up an account with CondoCerts and you will have the opportunity to purchase this information online. 




  Copyright 2008-2020. JBC Property Management, Inc. All rights reserved.  

| Site Map |